South Australia’s art collection was originally housed together with the library and museum collection in the Institute building. In 1881, the Art Gallery of South Australia was established and a new purpose-built gallery opened in early 1900. That gallery is now the Elder Wing; subsequent wings added in 1936, 1962 and 1996 to house the ever-growing collections.
The Art Gallery has comprehensive collections of Australian, European andAsian art. The country’s most significant and important collections of 19th century Australian paintings and Aboriginal Western Desert dot paintings are housed here.