The Parliament of South Australia consists of two Houses - the Legislative Council and the House of Assembly. They govern South Australia according to the traditions of the Westminster System of Parliament. Every Member of Parliament must take an oath, or make an affirmation, of allegiance to the Queen of England. There must be a session of Parliament at least once in every year, and the maximum life of a Parliament is four years.
Although it appears to be one imposing building, South Australia's Parliament House was built in two sections. In 1873, Edmund Wright, ex-Mayor of the city and architect of the Adelaide Town Hall and GPO, won a competition with his Melbourne-based colleague to design a new Parliament House. Issues with the site and costs meant the first section was only completed in 1889, a year after Wright’s death. It carries the faces of leading parliamentarians and Governors of that era in the keystones of the upstairs windows.
The second section was finally completed fifty years later with the help of a £100,000 donation from Sir John Langdon Bonython, son of Langdon (see Bonython Hall).
Further information is available from Adelaide City Council’s Heritage Department – SA History Trust.