Bonython Hall

Bonython Hall at the University of Adelaide on North Terrace was built in 1936 using a £40,000 donation from Sir John Langdon Bonython, the owner of The Advertiser newspaper. A great believer in education, he wanted the university to have a hall like that of Oxford or Cambridge. However, the money came with two stipulations. The first was where it should be located; the second was that it should have a sloping floor to discourage dancing.