The warmer months are the perfect time to get your health on track. And it’s easier than you think. I know the words detox and cleanse can often be thrown in the too hard basket. But it’s really just a choice: the choice to put your health first.
That doesn’t mean going on some crazy diet! It means you choose to nourish your body and fuel it with foods that you need to thrive. I’m talking fresh produce! In South Australia we have access to such amazing, fresh, seasonal food, so make use of it. Get out to your local markets, see what’s in season, ask questions and learn how to prepare that food. When you’re at farmers markets, this kind of information is generously passed on.
Make your diet varied. We humans are creatures of ritual and habit, but the body actually thrives on a varied diet. So mix it up.
Up your water intake, especially in the warmer months. I aim for one litre of water per 22kg of body weight per day.
Now I know that sounds like loads, and if you’re going from one glass of water to three litres per day then it really is, but the key is a gradual increase over time and your body will get used to it (and no, you won’t be peeing every 10 minutes).
Sunshine! In the winter months we see much less sun and our vitamin D levels drop. Vitamin D is needed for bone health, our mood, thyroid function and metabolism, just to name a few. So my advice is to get out there and soak up some rays. I’m not saying get scorched, but 20 minutes in the morning or afternoon (avoid the heat of the middle of the day) is a great way to boost your immune system, and make you feel happier too!
My final tip is to start loving yourself. Until you really love yourself and do what makes you happy with the people who make you happy, it’s going to be really hard to be on top of your health. Happiness and self-love are as important as the foods you choose to eat.
Lola Berry’s top tips for a healthy summer
- Seek out a new seasonal fresh food. Be brave. And don’t forget, we eat with our eyes, so put some thought into how your serve your food. There are some great homewares stores in Rundle Mall to help get you inspired.
- Up the water intake. Try keeping a massive bottle on your work desk so it’s always in front of you and therefore front
- Try this simple spring clean trick: squeeze half a lemon(use a fresh real one, not the bottled stuff)into a quarter of a cup of warm water (so it’s just like a shot) then drink it first thing every morning. This stimulates a mini liver detox and it will also help your body digest its first meal, plus has quite an alkalising effect on the body.
- Hang out with people you love, the ones who really make you smile. When you’re happy you look after your health more. Fact!
- Try a new form of exercise: moving your body each day is a great way to stimulate your organs of elimination, keeping you feeling tip-top.
- Seek sunshine:it will make you happier (but be sun smart). Rundle Mall is the perfect outdoor space for you to wander.
- Try a new recipe: don’t be afraid of stuffing it up. I stuff up recipes all the time! Just give it a go.