The hottest trend for the season is the 70s. I’m a big fan of vintage styles and the 70s are at the top of the list. It was an era of flattering shapes such as A-line skirts, high waist flares, peasant tops, figure skimming maxi dresses and jumpsuits.
This season you will see a modern twist, making it an easy trend to introduce into your wardrobe. Print is a key element, but limit it to one piece so you don’t look like you’re going to a fancy dress party! Suede is heavily featured in this retro revival. Try introducing a suede A-line skirt, shift dress or even a pair of suede shoes. You can find some great suede pieces in Bardot, Temt and Dotti.
The culotte is a must-have item for the season. I have multiple pairs in different lengths and wear them in place of pants or a skirt. If you are petite in height make sure you team them with a heel to give length to your legs. My favourite stores for the ultimate pair of culottes are BNKR, Country Road and Veronika Maine.
The colour palette for the season will range from bold colour blocking through to soft pastels and classic black and white. The prints will range from floral and botanical prints to retro inspired patterns.
You will also see the revival of spots and stripes in black and white. The striped options include vertical, horizontal and diagonal – anything goes! If you are afraid of stripes opt for the figure flattering diagonal or vertical style. My go-to retailer for colour and print is Ted Baker. They have unique pieces that will complement your wardrobe.
If you’re not comfortable wearing colour and pattern, introduce them through your accessories such as a printed clutch or bold coloured sunglasses. Try layering a statement necklace over a relaxed tee and jeans for an effortless weekend look. Visit Have You Met Charlie?, Showies Boutique or 4U Jewellery for unique, one off accessories.
Top 5 must have items for spring summer
- Relaxed tailoring: Choose a long line vest, lightweight trench or wide leg pant.
- A statement accessory: Add a great hat, clutch, necklace or heels to your summer ensemble.
- A denim shirt: My favourite denim shirt can be found in K Mart for the bargain price of $17.
- Anything patterned: Whether it is a classic stripe, feminine floral, dramatic geometric or natural botanical, choose a print that suits your personality.
- A pair of culottes: Team them with a tailored shirt for work or a structured crop for a night on the town.